Morrison farm celebrates century farm status

A quilt depicted the Morrison family over 100 years at the of the land's as a century farm on Aug. 17.

Share Adjust Comment Print

A celebration was held at the Morrison family farm in the RM of Rosser with 85 people including dignitaries on Aug.17.

Alf Chorney of the Manitoba Historical Society presented a wall plaque to 94-year-old owner, Arthur Morrison, in addition to his farm’s official signage and documents confirming the status of the farm. The Reeve of the RM of Rosser, Frances Smee, also offered her congratulations at the ceremony.

Sandra Gowan, Arthur Morrison’s granddaughter provided tours of the Prairie GEM hop yards. Danny’s Whole Hog prepared a barbecue and the flower gardens; machine sheds, garage and elevator were open for viewing. “Some of the machinery is still used on the farm,” Cheryle McClure, granddaughter of Arthur Morrison, said.

Photo albums showed guests just how the family and the farm had changed.

The Morrison family farm has existed from 1919 to 2019 and is located

at S.E. and E. one half of S.W. of 14-12-1E in the RM of Rosser. William Harold Morrison purchased the property in April of that year.

Morrison moved to Manitoba from Ontario after working on his brother, James’ farm in Lilyfield in 1902. Harold and his wife, Mabel and their six children lived in the three granaries they built when they first arrived. A two-storey saltbox style house was built next. Another 160 acres was later purchased on a section of land north of the family home.

Harold Morrison served as a member of the school board and the Manitoba Pool Elevator Board. Morrison was survived by eight of his 12 children, four sons and four daughters. His youngest son, Arthur Morrison inherited the Morrison family farm in 1963. Arthur transitioned the farm into grain farming from a mixed cattle and hog farm. Arthur also purchased the additional 160 acres from his brother John, farming it as well and later selling it.

Arthur built a shop and a grain elevator on the land and replaced the barn with a metal machine shop. A new home was built in place of the old family homestead in 1967 and a garage in 1971

Granddaughters, McClure and Gowan, raised their families on the farm on sites near their parents, Art and Edith. McClure and her husband raise appaloosa horses, using part of the land for pasture. Gowan and her husband run the hop yard. Her hops are grown for the beer brewing industry. They also sell rhizomes and produce forage crops for the McClure’s horses.

Comments